Almonds are a great snack, why, because they will save your ass from a heart attack. Well, they can help prevent it as long as you eat healthy too! Almonds are high in Monousaturated fats. These fats reduce the LDL Cholesterol within the body. Thus, reducing the risk of heart diseases.
Almonds also contain the antioxidant Vitamin E. Only one ounce of Almonds will account for 1/3 or you percentage needed by the body. Doctors are finding out that Vitamin E may delay or prevent diseases due to free radicals. What else does vitamin E do?
- Vitamin E is involved in immune function
- Vitamin E keeps a healthy lining of the interior surface of blood vessels and are better able to resist blood-cell components adhering to this surface
- Cell signaling
- Regulation of gene expression, and other metabolic processes
Almonds are a great snack if you are attempting to shed some pounds. They are loaded with fiber and ‘good’ fat which will make you feel full longer than a piece of fruit, bread or chips!
Almonds contain Potassium. Potassium helps with nerve transmissions and function of your body’s muscles. Your heart is a muscle, a very important one at that, so potassium plays a key role everytime your heart pumps, by allowing contractions and maintaining a normal blood pressure. High blood pressure will eventually lead to atherosclerosis or also known as hardening of the arteries.
Almonds also contain Magnesium which is required for proper blood and oxygen circulation. Being a strength athlete it is important that proper circulation occurs. Hell, to be alive it is important that proper circulation occurs.
Other Benefits of consuming Almonds:
- Brain food by providing the brain with L-carnitine
- Expecting mothers should consume almonds due to Folic Acid levels which prevent abnormalities in infants
- Milk! Yes, Almond milk! Low in calories, no hormones or antibiotics! Tasty too!
- Almonds lower the after-meal rise in blood sugar.
- Helps increase blood flow and has been used as Aphrodisiacs
- Provides minerals to the skeletal system and is great for those suffering with osteoperosis